Monday, June 14, 2010

Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps

As a busy person if I don't have food made and ready to go the instant I am hungry, my likelihood of eating something I shouldn't greatly increases.  Since it is just me to cook for I like to make a lot, and live off of it for the next week.  However I have to have a couple dishes ready so I don't get burnt out so quickly.  Also if you have a cooler or a work fridge this travels really well and doesn't take up a lot of room or need a lot of "re-fixing."
In case you haven't noticed when it comes to cooking, I don't like to "follow" the rules, they're more like guidelines anyway.  I have made this dish many times, some weeks I like it crunchy, sometimes a bit spicy, or sweet.  Sometimes I can't remember where the capers are in the grocery store.  This is why I don't always put up exact measurements.  Nor do I put in all the ingredients I have listed.  This is your food, make it the way you like it.  Burger King got it right when they said "have it your way."

Egg Salad: 
12-18 hard boiled eggs (4-6 servings)
4-6 Stalks of chopped celery
1/4C-1/2C Mayo
1 1/2 tsp Dill
1 tsp Sweet and dill relish
Lemon Juice
Apple Cider Vinegar
Salt and Pepper
1/4-1/2 of small purple onion*
Chives*
Capers*
Tuna*

Wrap:
Romain Leaves
Iceberg lettuce*
Celery Stalks*
Spinach*
Red, Yellow, Orange peppers*


Chop or dice hard boiled eggs and place in a large mixing bowl.  Add your desired amounts of the rest of the ingredients, except the lettuce.  Mix together.  Wash and separate romaine leaves and pat dry.  Spoon egg salad into center, roll up or taco up and munch away!

*Are ingredients I didn't use, but could!  Use tuna for a little extra protein or eliminate the eggs and just use tuna.  Instead of romaine use iceberg or spinach, instead of whole leaves use tossed greens, hollowed out peppers (my fav!), leave the celery out and use the celery stalks as your spoon (shovel :) )! There are endless options here people!  Try it out and tell me whats your favorite combo!

**Remember to check your labels on the relishes, capers, and tuna
.

1 comment: