Saturday, November 20, 2010

Chicken Noodless Soup

As I type this it is currently snowing here in Bozeman.  I don't know why I am so sad, it is November I shouldn't be surprised.  On the bright side, cold weather means warm comfort food.  This recipe is easy, but not exactly fast, making it great for those snow days.
Whole Chicken quartered or hacked up like a bad 70's horror movie (about 4#)
4 Stalks of celery
4 Whole carrots
2 Slices of Bacon
1 Small Onion
2 Cloves of Garlic
12 quarts of water
Salt and Pepper
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup fresh parsley
Rosemary
Bay Leaves
Other Spices
In very large pot put chopped bacon slices, onion quartered, 1 carrot roughly chopped, 1 celery stalk roughly chopped, vinegar, parsley, garlic (smashed in skin), and chicken quarters, skin and bones included.  Then add water, make sure chicken in covered. let water come to boil then turn down and simmer for about 2-3 hours.  After simmering run through strainer saving the broth but getting the big pieces of veggies and meat out.  Return broth to pot.  Let bones and meat cool to the touch.  Pick off as much meat as you can and add back to the pot.  Here add any additional spices to your taste.  I used salt, pepper, rosemary, and parsley.  Then I added the rest of my now nicely chopped celery, and carrots.  Cook on medium low heat until veggies are done to your liking, about 1/2 to 1 hour more.
*If your broth is bland you may add as much store bought broth (watch your labels) needed to give a good flavor. Some chickens are more flavorful  than others.  However it is my thought if you have a fresh, free range, former family pet chicken, flavor will be no problem.  Chickens on steroids most likely have less flavor.  Just my thoughts.
*If hacking up your own chicken, 1- be careful, 2- try and split some bones so there is marrow exposed.  Lots of flavors and nutrients are in those bones and this helps release them.  I am lazy and bought thighs and breasts with the ribs.
*You may want to let cool and skim off the some of the fat.  I didn't. I heart fat. Fat brings in flavor too.  Some chickens will have more fat than others.
*In the beginning when adding the chicken parts, I did remove large chunks of meat and added them later.  I did this so my chicken wouldn't be as over cooked and possibly dry.  I added it back with the second round of veggies.  Try not to sample until the chicken is all white and cooked thoroughly. Did it make a difference?  I don't know, but I sure feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment