Monday, September 27, 2010

'Its not a cookie! Its fruit and'....chicken

I've got to admit I was a little embarrassed when I got my side of fruit at the Nova Cafe and I was unable to identify one of the pieces of fruit in my dish. Low and behold it was a fig.  I had no idea!  I was quite excited to try it, as I heard they were good and I also enjoyed a Fig Newton back in the day, but never had seen one in the flesh or fresh for that matter.  I then came across a sandwich recipe that had figs in and looked delicious!  Now how can I make that paleo and still delicious.... and viola, here is my version of the fig sammich. 

Serving for 2
2 Chicken breasts 4-6oz each
2-4 slices of prosciutto or pancetta
Mustard - oh yeah I made my own
Romain Lettuce leaves
1-2 sliced Figs dried or fresh
Coconut Oil
Salt and Pepper

Lets start of with a mustard recipe which I originally got from Mark's Daily Apple, because who knows how to make mustard?  I will list his recipe and then explain how I made mine, because recipes are more like guidelines than rules any way. 
His:                                                          Hers:
1/4 cup white or brown mustard seeds   1/4 cup brown mustard seeds
1/4 cup red wine vinegar                         1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup dry red wine                                1/4 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup dry mustard                                1/2 cup dry mustard
2 tsp salt                                                  2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground allspice                            1/4 tsp ground allspice
2 tbsp cold water                                     2 tbsp cold water

His:
Place mustard seeds, wine vinegar and wine in a small bowl and let sit for 3 hours. Pour the contents of the bowl and the water into a food processor with a steel blade. Blend until seeds are broken up and then add the dry mustard, salt, allspice, and water, and process until smooth. Scoop into glass container and refrigerate 12 hours before serving.

Hers: 
I pretty much did the same thing except I added smaller amounts of vinegar and wine to start so I can play with taste when adding the rest.  Do I want tangy- add more apple cider vinegar etc. 

In pan heat of coconut oil.  Season chicken breast with seasonings of choice, and/or salt and pepper.  Add chicken to warm pan cook until done.  While waiting for chicken to cook.  Rinse out and dry romaine leaves and place a bed of greens on a plate.  When chicken is done place on bed of greens.  In pan lightly sear the prosciutto or pancetta, quickly remove from heat and place on chicken.  Next add layer of mustard and top with figs.  Done!  Now enjoy!  Once you get past the mustard making this is super easy! 

*if you want a lighter fruity taste use fresh figs, where do you find them, good question.  Sorry, I used dry fig that I found a Roseaurers.  I didn't look anywhere else.
*if you want a richer taste, use dried figs, YUM.  I even 'buttered' a few figs with my mustard and ate them.  Good stuff!
*my mustard was HOT!  be careful and sample as you go!
*I am my father's daughter and I also used lemon pepper to season my chicken.  We put lemon pepper on nearly everything.  Its my family's 'ranch' dressing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment