Monday, August 30, 2010

Chicken Stuffed with Spinach, Feta, and Pine Nuts

I know you are sad its not more beets...So a 'perfect paleo' diet says no dairy, how ever I am not perfect and you can find fetas from a goat too. Also the recipe calls for 2oz for a serving of 4.  My though is unless you are allergic, enjoy your little cheat, its a better cheat than ice cream.  Well not exactly, but you know what I mean. 

5oz fresh spinach, chopped
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (I used garlic and herb feta, why not?)
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 galric cloves, minced
4 (6 oz) chicken breasts
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chicken broth
Salt
Pepper

Fire up the oven to 350.  Heat oven proof skillet over medium-high heat.  Add spinach to pan, and cook until spinach wilts (continuously tossing).  Place spinach in a colander and press until barely moist.  Combine spinach, feta, nuts, thyme, juice, and garlic.  Cut a horizontal slit thorough the thickest portion of the breast to form a pocket.  For some slicing tips check out the Chicken Pizza post.  Stuff about 3 tablespoons of the spinach mixture into each breast.  Seal with wooden toothpicks and sprinkle breasts with salt and pepper. In oven proof pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.  Add chicken and cook for 3 minute each side.  Add broth, and cover pan.  Place pan in oven and back at 350 until done, about 15minutes.  Then devour!  

*If you really want to get wild add a small handful of fresh basil and wilt together as recipe states.  Its delicious.  How do I know?  Well I didn't confuse spinach for basil from my CSA, and my roommate did not ask, is that fresh basil I smell? before I figued it out.  So please stop asking. I discovered this delicious combination by my sheer, and oh so so, so, so mature and sophisticated pallet.  Yeah I almost believe that too! :)
*There was lots of yummy juices left over.  I saved it in a seperate container to sprinkle over steamed broccoli and cauliflower!  It takes it from 'plain' to 'zang!'
So rhyming isn't my strong suit either.....

1 comment:

  1. this ones delish! thanks for posting... next on my list is stuffed squash... and i gotta try that bacon log soon!

    ReplyDelete