Monday, August 2, 2010

Stawberry Crumble

Ok, this dish debuted at the latest ladies night and seemed to go over moderately well ;) -ha! By popular demand here it is.  I originally wanted to make it a stawberry rhubarb type crumble.  Growing up my mother used to make this rhubarb breadcrumb ice cream topping.  It was so delicious and reminds me of summer!  Unfortunately rhubarb was already out of season so it was just a strawberry.    I found a very similar recipe on everydaypaleo.com, but I was like thats' it?  I thought I could make it better.  And here it is with as always, my special tweaks.  I hope you enjoy it!

Ingredients:
4 Cups chopped strawberries
1/8 Cup honey
1 1/2 Cup Almond flour/meal
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Nutmeg
1/2 Tsp Cardamom
1 Egg
2 TBSP Coconut oil
Pinch of salt
1/8-1/4 Cup Chopped Pecans

Chop and or slice up strawberries the night or morning before you like to serve this dish. Heat up honey so it is runny and coats the all the strawberries.  Use more or less as needed.  Cover and let sit for at least 5 hours.  Recipe will probably work without sitting long, however I was trying to get lots of juice out of the berries. When ready to bake preheat oven to 375.  In new bowl mix remaining ingredients except the pecans and mix until crumbly.  In 9x13" pan spread out juicy strawberries, top with crumble spread out.  If you like your crumble crunchy don't mix into strawberries, if you like soggy crumble mix it all up. Top with pecans.  If you like lightly drizzle with honey before placing in oven.  Bake for 30min, crumble tops should be starting to brown.  If you like it crispier leave in another 5-10 min.

This dish is a fantastic as a warm top to ice cream, coconut ice cream or with cold coconut milk!

*careful it goes fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment