Monday, May 10, 2010

Seared Salmon with Jalapeno Ponzu


If you're like me you have all the free time in the world to research recipes, grocery shop, prepare extravagant meals with and exotic pallet! HA! Yeah right!  We all know there is often not enough time to the day to get everything done.  This is why I like fast, easy, and delicious recipes!  If I have to read or repeat the recipe more than twice to get it right, its not worth doing a third time!

I did not with this recipe, (I don't even know how to say ponzu!) I do try to find ways to make them my own.  Probably because when it comes to cooking I have hard time following directions! I'm just crazy like that!  If you have an an idea how to improve or diversify the recipe let me know.  I'll give the basic recipe and maybe my two cents at the end on how to try the recipe with a spin!

This first recipe I chose for a few reasons:
1. The picture looked really good 
2.  It was really easy to make and...
3.  I am not the biggest fish fan (especially salmon) mostly because I don't know how to prepare it if its not battered and fried! Here was my chance to breakout of the burger box. 

Seared Salmon with Jalapeno Ponzu

1/4 C fish sauce* (originally soy)
2 TBSP fresh orange juice
2 TBSP Mirin** (sweet rice wine)
1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
1 TBSP sesame oil
4 (6oz) salmon fillets
1 Large jalapeno, thinly cut crosswise into rings

1.  Mix together first 4 ingredients in a small bowl and mix them together well.

2.  Heat oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat.  Place salon skin side down and cook for 4 min.  Flip and cook another 4 min or until fish flakes easily with a  fork. 

3.  Place salmon fillet on plate and top with a few jalapeno slices and about 2 TBSP sauce, let stand about 10 min before eating to let sauce set in.  Enjoy!

You can find most of the ingredients at your local grocery store.  Town and Country, Albertsons, and Rosauers all had everything needed.  The next time I try this I am going to try it as a marinade on some pork.  I think it would a bit much to soak the salmon.  I'll let you know how it goes. Serve with a side of steamed vegetables like broccoli or asparagus. 

*Instead of fish sauce there are gluten free soy sauces
**Mirin is made from rice which is technically not "Paleo" but is gluten free.  My thoughts on substituting would be to try apple cider vinegar (probably 1/2 to 3/4 the suggest mirin amount) and a teaspoon of honey to sweeten it up.  Make sure to get your honey warm and  you will need to stir well.  Add small amounts until you find a combo that you like.
Also I recommend not sampling a spoonful of the mirin alone, unless you are out of ipecac. 

No comments:

Post a Comment